For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill. (Robert Frost)
A vivacious woman strode confidently into a second-grade classroom. Gladness wreathed her face when she spotted her former teacher. She hadn’t seen him in 20 years! “Hello!” she called. “Do you remember me?” Prompted by her name, the teacher recalled a bright little girl eagerly participating in class. “When I was in second grade you said I’d make a good lawyer,” she reminded him. “Well, I’m a lawyer!”
In Ponca City, Oklahoma, Robert Moore taught music to 900 high schoolers over a 30-year span. He was flabbergasted, after he retired, when some of his former Ponca City Chorale singers conspired to return to their home town and perform a reunion concert for their mentor at the old Ponca City Theater. From across America and around the globe, 300 Moore musicians came to honor him! Some had made careers in education. Many were musicians. He wasn’t an easy teacher, they said. But we would do anything to please him. “I sang with the LA Opera for 20 years and have performed around the world,” one told him with a hearty hug. “It wouldn’t have happened without you.” (Reported by Steve Hartman on CBS Sunday Morning, July 14, 2018)
Think of it! You, too, profoundly influence lives, just being who you are. God puts people in front of you, and you have no inkling how much this matters. Just as God initiated Abram’s journey, Moses’ leadership, Mary’s calling, and David’s–though they didn’t know His purpose–unbeknown to you, our Creator intersects your path with those who need what He has placed in your heart, your mind, your energy, and your spirit. Jesus is so excited about this that He can hardly wait to introduce you to these children of His in the earth made new. Looking forward to that day, Jesus even told His disciples what He’ll say to you! When Jesus enumerates kindness you’ve shared, you’ll feel bewildered. “When was that?” you’ll ask. And He will reply, “Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was Me–you did it to Me.” Matthew 25:31-40 Message
“When He finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all His angels with Him, the Son of Man will take His place on His glorious throne,” Jesus said in Matthew 25. “Then all the nations will be arranged before Him and He will sort out the people . . . the King will say to those on His right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation.’
Thank you for worshiping with us during our 9:00 and 11:30 Sanctuary worship services this summer as our Senior Pastor, James Winegardner, preaches from the Book of Mark. His sermon series continues this week! Our Pastor for Communication and Media, Devin Grady, will welcome you, and Kids Praise will provide music as children enter the Sanctuary to hear Pastor for Youth Carlos Pasillas’ story. Trent Muse, Aaron and Melva Hwang, Ace and Mikki Eclar, Gigi Marquart, and their families will provide worship music. Our Pastor for Family and Children’s Ministries, Travis Patterson, will call for the offering, which will support Keene Church Ministries and Operations. Jimmy Aiken will serve as Deacon in Charge.
Young Adults, April Chisholm will preach about “Majoring in the Minors – Amos” during The Middle Service in the Fellowship Hall at 10:15. Everyone is welcome! Great music, great fellowship, and great food, both spiritual and physical!
Water ministry continues today! Here are two ways you can be involved in our summer water distribution to homeless people in Fort Worth: Bring cases of bottled water to the church office, or join us in the Fellowship parking lot at 3:00 each Sabbath afternoon. Thanks! Info: 817-266-3771.
Game night – Bring your favorite snack and favorite board games (or a puzzle) and meet us at the Annex at 8:30 on this evening. Come again on August 4!
Church Board: Tuesday, July 24, Fellowship Hall, 7:00 PM.
Parents need a break? Kids…come play with us! Family Ministries is sponsoring Summer Fun Days again this week. Children in PK-Grade 4 come to KAES on Tuesday from 8:00 AM – noon. Youth in Grades 5-8 join us on Thursday from 8:00 till noon. Don’t miss this last chance to play together before summer ends! Bring a friend. All children are welcome.
Wednesday night Bible study! Pastor James Winegardner continues our very important study of God’s plan for optimal living, and for our community with Him, explained in Exodus. Join us in the Chapel at 7:00 PM!
“Masterpiece,” an art class similar to “Painting with a Twist,” will be brought to you by your Women’s Ministry team Sabbath, July 28 at 4:30 PM in the Annex. Bring your own canvas! Email firstname.lastname@example.org!
Keep calm — Join the choir!! Calling all Sopranos, Altos, Tenors and Basses. The Keene Worship Choir is an essential piece of our church music ministry program. Sing your praise to the Lord. We need you!! FIRST REHEARSAL- AUGUST 11 @ 4:00 pm in the Chapel.
Land of the Bible Tour – March 14–April 4, 2019 – For complete tour information email email@example.com. Israel and Egypt—March 14-April 4; Israel only—March 14-24; Egypt only—March 22-April 4.
Summer groups continue!
- Game night – Bring your favorite snack and favorite board games (or a puzzle) and meet us at the Annex @ 8:30 on 7/21. Come again on August 4!
- Sewing/Quilting – Bring your current project to sew together. Sewing machines and knowledgeable people available. CTA on 7/22 at 2 pm.
- Tatting – come and learn how to make beautiful, lacy projects. Supplies provided. July 24 at 7 pm. Also meeting 7/31. Meet in the Gathering Place.
- Calligraphy – Continue with learning how to do calligraphy! NOTE different time this Tuesday (7/24) at 6:00 pm. Also meeting 7/31 at 7 pm. Meet in Room 106.
- Kayaking – meet at 5:15 on July 29 at the church upper parking lot. Bring your kayak and park pass, if you have one. (Email if you need a kayak!) Going to Cleburne State Park.
- Bible Journaling – utilize your artistic creativity to create a beautiful page in your wide margin Bible or blank journal! Supplies will be provided! Meet July 31 at 7:00 pm. Room 107.
- Vegan Potluck – bring your favorite vegan dish (feeding 10-12) and recipe. Enjoy a vegan meal with others! Meet at the annex on August 4 after second service.
- Birding – come and meet other people interested in birding and learn something new! Meet August 14 at 7 pm in Room 106.
- Horseback riding – bring your horse or come and enjoy riding! Will also have roping for kids. Watch for a date and time.
Come to our ice cream and watermelon social on August 18! Watch for cool, refreshing details in the weeks to come!
We need You! We are in urgent need for volunteers that have a passion for our children. Please contact Pastor Travis or Dorie Cruz to find the perfect children’s Sabbath School ministry for you! Thank you!
New Life Bible School – “Sometimes the smallest things make the biggest difference. Thank you for bringing me back to God and to life.” – Student
Southwestern Adventist University
- A young adult Bible study series, SummerShorts: Studying Galatians, is being held in the Southwestern Adventist University Student Center each Wednesday at 6:30 PM through August 8. A light supper is served. All are welcome.
- Sign up your business with Purple Briefcase to post jobs and internships. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or access student resumes and connect with SWAU’s young talent at https://app.purplebriefcase.com/pb/account/login?s=swau
Keene Adventist Elementary School
- We invite you to a KAES work bee Sunday, July 29, from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. A pancake breakfast will be provided! Thank you!
- Registration is now open for our 2017-2018 school year. Online Pre-K – Grade 8 registration: kaes4kids.com. Prayerfully consider enrolling your child at KAES for a faith-building year.
- KAES summer hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM and Friday by appointment. School starts on August 13!
Chisholm Trail Academy
- Summer Hoops, grades 6 to 12, Sunday-Thursday, July 22-26, at CTA gym, 6:00-9:30 PM, fun basketball activities. Sign up at CTA office, 817-558-4404.
- CTA online enrollment for 2018/2019 is going on now! For new students go to www.ctanet.org to apply. Returning students go to www.renweb.com to reenroll. It is important to have the online enrollment completed by July 27, before arriving for registration. To avoid the financial line, fees may be paid before you arrive for your scheduled registration time. Fees may be paid online as well.
- CTA Registration: Wednesday, August 1 for seniors 9:00-11:00 AM; juniors 11:00 AM-1:00 PM; sophomores 3:00 -5:00 PM; freshmen 5:00-7:00 PM. School office: 817-641-6626.
- CTA first day of school: Tuesday, August 14.
Happy 95th Birthday on Sabbath, July 21, Lillian Davis! We love you!
Reggie and Ladye Love Smith will present a concert in our Sanctuary at 7:00 Saturday night, July 28—a great way to close a summer Sabbath!
Carter BloodCare bus will visit our upper parking lot on August 4.
Southwestern Union Women’s Spiritual Retreat August 10-12 in Frisco. Speakers: Elizabeth Talbot, Speaker/Director of Jesus 101 Institute; Dan Jackson, North American Division President; Sara Bullon, Carla Baker.
The Arlington Church is hosting Gerald Babanezhad, Muslim Outreach Coordinator for the Pacific Union Conference, August 25 for seminars on Muslim outreach. Each session will include practical methods, testimonies, and much more. Click here for more information.
Your Best Pathway to Health | Fort Worth mega-clinic is coming to Fort Worth September 19-21. Roughly 2,000 volunteers are needed to help. Every volunteer needs to register at https://www.facebook.com/YBPThealth.
The Norse Church, the oldest standing Adventist church in Texas, invites you to its 35th annual church service at 10 am on Saturday, October 13. A potluck lunch will be held after the service. Those wanting to ride horses before the church service will meet in Keene at 6 am and head to a ranch near the Norse Church. The group will take a 30-minute trail ride to the church.
Adventist Medical and Dental Clinic – Volunteers Needed! Friday, October 12 and Sunday, October 14 (7:00 AM – 4:00 PM), Irving Adventist Church, 1300 N Rogers Rd. Medical, dental, non-medical volunteers register: https://amenfreeclinic.org/free-clinics-info/?clinic=132.
Do you have a house to rent in the Keene area? A retired couple–the wife is a registered nurse–has moved here from another state and is looking for a one- or two-bedroom house to rent. They would prefer that the bedrooms be on the main floor. A small Maltese dog completes the family. If you have a home to rent, please contact email@example.com (phone 817-933-4292).
The parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:34-40) “describes acts of mercy we all can do every day. These acts do not depend on wealth, ability, or intelligence; they are simple acts freely given and freely received. We have no excuse to neglect those who have deep needs, and we cannot hand over this responsibility to the church or government. Jesus demands our personal involvement in caring for others’ needs (Isaiah 58:7)” Life Application Bible, Matthew 25
Has someone sparked your imagination in a life-changing way? Go out of your way to tell them. You’ll make their day!
Your Keene Church Pastors
A Prayer in Spring
Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers today;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill.